Nicholas Pooran steps down as a captain of West Indies team

Nicholas Pooran, a West Indies wicket-keeper batter who took over the captaincy from Kieron Pollard in the May of 2022 has decided to step down from the captaincy of the West Indies team. West Indies won just four out of 15 ODIs and four out of 15 T20Is during his reign. In the recently concluded T20 World Cup, West Indies were eliminated from the first stage of the tournament after losing to Scotland and Ireland. They won only against Zimbabwe.

Pooran said. “I took on the role with great pride and dedication and have given it absolutely everything over the past year. The T20 World Cup is something that must not define us and I will readily get involved in the upcoming reviews. And whilst it will be several months until we reconvene as a squad, I want to give CWI plenty of time to prepare for the matches against South Africa in March and beyond.”

“This is not me giving up. I remain ambitious and still view the captaincy of West Indies cricket as an honour that is bestowed upon you. There is no doubt I remain fully committed to West Indies cricket and I look forward to providing my services as a senior player in a supportive role.”

Nicholas Pooran 2022 has played 19 ODIs. In 19 innings he has scored 493 runs with the highest being 91 with an average of 25.94. Nicholas Pooran played 25 T20 matches and scored 646 runs in 25 Innings. Nicholas Pooran’s Highest Score in T20 is 74. N Pooran has 0 T20 centuries, 5 T20 half-centuries and 2 times 30+ and 6 times 20+ T20 runs. N Pooran has a strike rate of 128.6 with an average of 28.08.

2 Likes