India vs South Africa Live Updates - 1st T20I - Thiruvananthauram - Match Thread

Jasprit Bumrah complained of back pain during India’s practice session on Tuesday. The BCCI Medical Team assessed him. He is ruled out of the first T20I.

India won the toss and chose to field first.

Playing XIs:
India: 1 Rohit Sharma (capt), 2 KL Rahul, 3 Virat Kohli, 4 Suryakumar Yadav, 5 Rishabh Pant (wk), 6 Dinesh Karthik, 7 Axar Patel, 8 Harshal Patel, 9 R Ashwin 10 Deepak Chahar, 11 Arshdeep Singh

South Africa: 1 Quinton de Kock (wk), 2 Temba Bavuma (capt), 3 Rilee Rossouw, 4 Aiden Markram, 5 Tristan Stubbs, 6 David Miller, 7 Wayne Parnell, 8 Kagiso Rabada, 9 Keshav Maharaj, 10 Anrich Nortje, 11 Tabraiz Shamsi

Rohit Sharma: “Arshdeep and Pant are playing. Deepak comes in place of Bumrah who has a niggle. Ashwin in place of Chahal.”

What a start from Team India! Deepak Chahar got Temba Bavuma in the 1st over and now Arshdeep Singh strikes and got the big wicket of Quinton De Kock

1 Like

3 wickets for Arshdeep Singh in his 1st over. Is there any option to change the T20 WC squad

1 Like

Arshdeep Singh on - 0, W, 0, 4, WD, 2WD, W, W

1 Like

Five Down :flushed:

South Africa 13/5 in 2.4 overs

Quick stats: Prior to this match, Arshdeep Singh had three wickets in 11 innings inside the powerplay.

In one over alone in this match, he has picked up three wickets.

1 Like

Quick stats: The last T20 game played at Greenfield was in December 2019. West Indies chased a target of 171 runs in just 18.3 overs against India.

But, seems like we are in for a different sort of game here today!

Terrific start from Chahar and Arshdeep Singh. Now its all in the hands of Aiden Markram for South Africa.

1 Like

Good to see Ashwin back in colours <3. He is proving once again what he is worthy of.

100 up for South Africa . Well played Keshav Maharaj. What a game for him today.

1 Like

Excellent fight back from South Africa. In the powerplay, they have restricted India for 17/1. Nortje picked the wicket of Kohli in the first ball of his spell very after the powerplay.

1 Like

India 53/2 (11 overs)

Required 54 off 54 balls

Can they chase this down?

Back to back fifties for Suryakumar Yadav

50 runs in 33 balls.

KL Rahul and Suryakumar Yadav score fifties as :india: win by eight wickets with 20 balls to spare

It’s not been a straightforward chase for India :india:, but they have gotten over the line efficiently at the end and have taken an early lead in this 3-match T20I series.

The Proteas did make India sweat hard for their runs in the early stage and Rohit Sharma & Virat Kohli got out cheaply but South Africa had too little to fight with and KL Rahul & Suryakumar Yadav batted steadily to take team India over the line with an ease at the end. There will be lots of work needs to be done at the South African camp from the batting department if they’re to comeback in the next game.

INDvSA - 1st T20I - 2nd Innings!
Fifties from KL Rahul, Suryakumar Yadav guide India to victory! :clap:

(:camera_flash: BCCI/Gettyimages)

Arshdeep Singh: “When Deepak bhai set the tone in the first over, I decided to just bowl in the right areas. Really enjoyed getting David Miller out. I think he expected an outswing delivery but it was a perfect inswing.”

1 Like